Thursday, September 25, 2008

Kareoking, Sunrises, and Legendary Taxi Rides.

Yesterday was one of those legendary days you file under your "Do not forget" folders in your cabinet of memories.

After class and the gym, I had a very productive four hours of studying. The plan was to go kareoking again yesterday night: basically every since that Lee Hom concert we've all been itching to get back into the KTV rooms and belt out some Lee Hom songs. So around 11PM I wrapped up my homework and we gathered the troops together for KTV.

Last time we went to KTV it was in the Xi Men Ding district. We went to another KTV this time, also called Partyworld, in the Sogo district. Another very rich and fancy place! (Also where I took that last shot of the roundish building in my last post, though I didn't know it at the time). I failed to get shots of the KTV place last time around, so I took a picture of the lobby this time. This isn't some 5-star hotel, it's a kareoke place! You would never find a place this fancy dedicated to only KTV in America, it's absolutely crazy!
DSC_0010
We sang mostly Chinese songs much to the chagrin of our token white man, Robert Bittner, who was lost in the sea of Chinese music for much of the two hours we were there. However we sang some American music just for him (even if he is Canadian) and sang pretty bad-ass versions of "I Want It That Way," "Dancing Queen," and "As Long As You Love Me." We translated that last song into Chinese and it was EPIC.

The taxi ride home was of epic proportions as well, though it probably won't make much sense to anyone else reading this besides the people who were in the cab. Basically it was the combination of Brian Chow and Brian Tsay, who are both slightly mean hearted; Sarah Ho, who basically has the demeanor of an angel but was seriously ripping into EVERYONE that night; and Jenny Hunyh, the taxi driver, and me watching in amazement. A lot of fightin' words were exchanged in that taxi, but any conversation ending with the kind-hearted Sarah calling Tsay heartless and Chow "lame sauce over a lame pancake" is an epic one.

Yeah, I guess it was one of those had-to-be-there moments.

Afterwards, Jenny, Brian and I decided to go up to the roof of Guo Qing and take a breather. Half an hour of conversation turned into about three hours of conversation and I figured since I had actually been productive earlier today for the first time in my life, why not watch the sunrise? So we stayed up there until 6. It got really bright, but the sun was still blocked by the tall Taiwanese buildings. The sun didn't show itself until around 7 or 8 but by then we were asleep trying to get some shut eye before class. The sunrise did make for some very pretty pictures though:
DSC_0020 1
DSC_0041 1
DSC_0058
DSC_0060
DSC_0070
DSC_0096
Needless to say, class today was quite slow and tiring for me. Still, it was a great night with some great friends. Gan bei!

Tomorrow is Friday! Can you say TGIF? Until next time, zai jian!

-Justin

No comments: